The Officer Mike Mosher Memorial Scholarship
View Scholarship Requirements
- The number of scholarships awarded each year shall be decided by The Overland Park Police Officer’s Foundation Executive Board and Scholarship Selection Committee.
- First time scholarship awards shall be up to $3,000, if attending 4-year college or university pursuing an undergraduate degree and up to $1500, if attending a 2 year, Community College or Technical School.
- All awards can be paid directly to the educational institution or to the recipient’s family on behalf of the Overland Park Officer’s Foundation. The amount of the award will be based off available fund for that year.
- Additionally, there will be awards for graduate students. There could be a possibility of one (1) $2,000 award and one (1) $1,000 award. This award will also be based off current available funds. (Lodge 21 Members, member spouses and children of members will be eligible for this award.)
- The applicant must be a US Citizen
- To be eligible for an undergraduate or below award, the applicant must be the dependent child or grandchild of a member or associate member, who is in good standing of the Overland Park Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #21.
- All undergraduate and below applicants shall currently be high school seniors or have graduated from an accredited public, private or home school. They shall provide an official transcript from their school showing they have achieved a cumulative GPA of not less than 2.5 on a 4.0 scale to be eligible for consideration.
- All undergraduate and below applicants shall provide proof they have been accepted into a 2 or 4-year college or university, or trade school and shall maintain full-time status in an undergraduate program as defined by the college, university or trade school being attended. The school shall be accredited and the full-time status shall be set forth by standards as defined by the United States Department of Education.
- All graduate level applicants shall provide proof they have been accepted into a graduate school, which shall accredited, and attending at least half time as defined by the United States Department of Education.
- The scholarship funds will be paid in one lump sum during the Fall semester of the current year.
- Each applicant must submit, with the official application form:
- Proof of enrollment or acceptance to an accredited institution
- A resume reflecting past accomplishments, educational achievements, leadership roles, volunteer projects, community service projects and any organized activities
- An essay, containing no less than 500 words and no more than 1000 words. The essay should describe future goals and objectives. If a major has been declared, why you picked that particular major.
- Applicants will complete all information on the application. The Scholarship Selection Committee will review all applications thoroughly. Final Awards will be based off a cumulative point criteria which includes the resume, essay and answers to the checklist on the application. In the event of a tie, a lottery will be completed from all finalists receiving the same final assessment score from the checklist questions, resume and essay.
- Deadline for all submissions shall be no later than June 30th of each calendar year. Failure to submit all required documents set forth herein on or before the due date shall disqualify an applicant for further consideration.
- The Officer Mike Mosher Memorial Scholarship award is renewable for undergraduate and below applicants and any previously awarded applicant must re-apply for further consideration. Second awards for undergraduate and below applicants will be up to $1500 for a 4-year college or university and $750 for a 2 year college or technical school. Second awards will only be granted if there are not enough first time applicants.
- All applications should be submitted through the Overland Park Police Officer’s Foundation website, located at oppof.org.